Sunday, February 12, 2012

A trip to Washington DC

In the beginning of 2012, I made a trip to the capital city of the United States of America, Washington DC. It was a trip that was planned long ahead and something I was looking forward to. I have read and seen so much about the place that, I had a whole list of things I wanted to see and do there. Given that my husband's business visit lasted only 3 days, I had to shorten my list of things to do.

The two most important things that contributed to my knowledge on DC are, The Lost Symbol a novel by Dan Brown and Food Network, thanks to all their shows from Top Chef to Food wars, I knew a lot many places to eat. Given the fact that I have not visited my own country's capital, Delhi, seeing Washington DC was a distant dream. So I was so excited to be there. My husband had booked us a hotel as close to the places of interest as possible. We walked to most of them that we could visit.

First things first, I saw snow, it was falling quietly outside our window painting the city white. It was simply beautiful. The place was cold, for a person from Florida, it was too cold. But I liked the change.

We walked our way to the first place on the list, White House. We walked up the road and there it was, right there! We were looking at it from the street. I was surprised to see it, I was expecting something in the center of a large area, though it was pretty large area, it still did not account for how large I imagined it to be.

The next stop from the White House was the Washington Monument. A large structure, which is an obelisk that was built to commemorate the first U.S. president, General George Washington. It was all that I expected it to look like. I had read about it in the Lost Symbol and had seen it in the news after the earthquake. Unfortunately, it was closed for visitors, so we had to see it from outside only.

Across from this monument, was the WWII memorial and Lincoln memorial. One of our friends who lived there said the WWII memorial was a very peaceful place to spend time. The Lincoln memorial left me dumbstruck. It was this huge marble structure, with huge solid marble Pillars. It was one of the largest structures I had ever seen. The largest structure list consists of : The Nandi at Nandi Hills, The Thanjore Temple, Temple at Rameswaram and The Capitol at Austin(I think most capitol buildings are huge)..there might be more to this list, but these were the first that come to my mind.

We also got a quick tour of the George Washington University. The Potomac river that runs between Washington DC and Virginia physically separates the two places, I mean if you crossed a bridge you were in Virginia, I found this interesting. Now I understand what, one of my friends meant by "I live outside DC, not in DC but in Virginia".

DC is a foodie's dream come true. One could find so many restaurants, serving so many different cuisines. The best of this was the food trucks. They appear during the day suddenly and serve tasty and affordable food. Its like food comes knocking at your office door. Yummy.

With that delicious thought, I want to complete this post as I can go on rambling about all the other places and food, but this was a quick round up of the things that interested me the most in DC.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey,My name is Riyana. I am working in Car towing service .I made a trip to the capital city of the United States of America. It was a trip that was planned long ahead and something I was looking forward to. I have read and seen so much about the place.Thanks